We provide dedicated blood test clinics on Tuesday mornings at 9am in Schull Clinic, and at 9am in Goleen Clinic.
Your doctor will refer you to this clinic, by giving you a blood test form detailing the tests he wishes you to have. You need to ring reception on 028 -28311 or 028-35148 and book an appointment for your test. Remember to bring the form with you to give to the nurse.
Some common tests undertaken are:
- Warfarin levels
- Venesection for haemochromatosis patients, this test takes at least 30 minutes and it is therefore important to book an appropriate length appointment
- Cholesterol ( fasting for 12 to 14 hours prior to the test is important.)
- Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) ( diagnostic test to rule out Diabetes)
- again fasting is essential for this test.
- Strictly nothing to eat or drink for 14 hours prior to the test other than water
- After the blood test you will be advised to drink 410 ml of Glucozade ( please bring this with you ), and after two hours return for a second blood test.
DIABETES PREVENTION CLINIC
This service is available to patients in the Mizen Peninsula. You may be aware that diabetes is an increasing problem within the country, but the good news is that diabetes is preventable. Anyone can be screened for their risk of diabetes very simply, and without even having blood samples taken.
If you are at risk you can attend a workshop on how to reduce your risk. If you are at high risk of diabetes you will be offered one to one support in making some lifestyle changes. For further information please contact Nurse Bernadette O?Riordan on 087 1312890